Re: Removing web server dependencies from web apps

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
> On 12-01-07 at 09:42am, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I'm not sure that it really violates Policy, mostly because we don't
>> have any Policy guidance about web applications at all right now.  But
>> I think it's fairly obvious that it's not a sane thing to do to camp on
>> a piece of URL space without any consultation with the local
>> administrator.  Even more so than file system space under /srv, the URL
>> namespace served by a web server is frequently under tight control and
>> needs to be carefully managed according to rules and conventions that
>> the package has no way of knowing.

> Well, in the case of jwchat it is not so clear cut: the user _is_ asked
> for a hostname for the vhost, and offered to opt-out by writing "none",
> but default is not none.

The reason why the default is important is because the default is what's
taken if people have set their debconf prompting level to high or
critical (since I assume that this prompt is not critical, and probably
not high, and I think that would be priority inflation).