Re: Removing web server dependencies from web apps

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:
> On 12-01-07 at 09:15am, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>>> ]] Daniel Baumann

>>> Having, say, mediawiki, ask using debconf if you would like a vhost
>>> set up with the host name wiki.$domain would be completely sane,
>>> IMO.  If you don't want it, just tell the config script no.

>> Agreed, provided that the default action is no.

> I too feel that no webapp package should add vhosts by default.

> But does it violate Policy?

> The package jwchat currently enable a vhost by default, I believe.

I'm not sure that it really violates Policy, mostly because we don't have
any Policy guidance about web applications at all right now.  But I think
it's fairly obvious that it's not a sane thing to do to camp on a piece of
URL space without any consultation with the local administrator.  Even
more so than file system space under /srv, the URL namespace served by a
web server is frequently under tight control and needs to be carefully
managed according to rules and conventions that the package has no way of
knowing.