Re: Removing web server dependencies from web apps

On 01/07/2012 12:33 AM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>> On 01/06/2012 04:34 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
>>
>>> It depends which is more common
>>>
>> I don't see why we would steer on the direction of the most common
>> thing only. What we want is something that works all the time, no?
>> If we remote the web server dependency, it works all the time.
>>
> No, it then breaks if you don't install the package by hand.

That's not what my proposal *was* (I already given up) about.
It would break if you don't install the package by hand *AND*
if you have disabled automatic install of Recommends:.

>> Don't you think that someone who can setup a PHP app, also knows
>> that it will need apache, and that apt-get install apache2 is quite an
>> easy thing to do?
>>
> That argument can be taken ad absurbum quite easily.  Don't you know
> that ssh requires libssl0.9.8g?  Everybody knows that, you should just
> grab it by hand.

You are talking about strict, mandatory, dependencies, for a library that
would anyway never by a problem on your server. That is totally different.

>>> How many of these packages do clever things upon installation like
>>> setup their own virtual hosts or similar?
>>>
>> None, because that's forbidden by the Debian policy.
>>
> Where is that forbidden?

Sorry, I don't want to spend the time to search and point at it.
But I'm quite sure of what I'm saying. What packages do, is
install an Alias directive, but *never* a VirtualHost.

Thomas