Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 07:23:12PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> [121130 16:06]:
> > I do not agree that reconfiguring your machine to avoid an initrd is a normal
> > standard desktop configuration. There's also several other things about your
> > setup which I would argue are not standard (see below)
>
> Will Debian come by default with initrds on all release architectures?
> Squeeze was still released with some kernels without initrd support
> if I remember correctly.

I believe some old MIPS bootloaders don't support them.  The
linux-image packages for MIPS therefore don't rely on an initramfs,
but you can still create and use them if you install initramfs-tools
and a capable boot-loader.  This might possibly be changed for jessie,
depending on MIPS porters.

When I say they don't rely on an initramfs, I mean (1) the packages
don't depend on initramfs-tools | linux-initramfs-tool (2) the kernel
images have various filesystems and drivers built-in that would
normally be modular.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings