Re: Really, about udev, not init sytsems

]] Steve Langasek

> On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 03:42:19PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > > The point is, systemd and udev have recently been patched by upstream so
> > > that things are going *even more* on the direction of having stuff
> > > stored in /usr.
>
> > Which is still not really a problem when tons of other daemons have
> > done the same already. We're not "fixing" this by patching systemd and
> > udev when many other daemons behave the same way. So, it's pointless
> > anyway.
>
> There are no "lots of other daemons" affected by this issue.  It's only the
> architecture of systemd and udev that trigger this problem.

There is nothing in systemd's or udev's architecture that requires
having /usr mounted early.  However, it's the opinion of the systemd
primary upstream authors that having /usr on a separate fs is a bad idea
since there are tools that (primarily) some udev rules use, which live
on /usr.

--
Tollef Fog Heen