Re: debian mate

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 08:12:55PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Because nobody knows anymore how to maintain libraries as complex as
> bonobo, for example. And I’m pretty sure the MATE developers don’t have
> the expertise.

Yet.

Can you please accept that there are some people who dislike gnome3,
just like there are some people who don't? And that there are those who
dislike it enough that they want to ensure a gnome2-like environment
remains available for their own use?

I've always thought that the freedom to fork is one of the more central
tenets to the Open Source/Free Software philosophy: if you don't like
what the developer is doing, fork, try to be better, and see what
happens. But your argument against MATE seems to consist of:
- They used sed!!!1! oh noes!
- This bunch of people deprecated those old APIs! How DARE this other
  group revive it!

It's fine if you don't want to maintain it. Nobody's asking you to. If
someone were to upload some MATE components to Debian without
consideration, and were to break (part of) the Gnome environment while
doing so, then you'd have very good reason to complain. So far I've not
seen many convincing arguments that this is going to happen, however.

Pretty please, just drop it.

--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy requires you
to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once, add a voucher, and