Re: debian mate

Am 05.11.2012 00:51, schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:
On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 02:57:35AM +0400, Виталий Короневич wrote:
debian gnome-edition - ok
debian kde-edition - ok
debian lxde-edition - ok
debian xfce-edition - ok
Those aren't really editions comparable to Ubuntu's editions or
Fedora's spins. You just install a regular Debian and choose the
desktop enviroment you want.

when will debian mate-edition?
This isn't as easy and straight-forward as you might think. There are
many problems that need to be solved with MATE first before it can
enter Debian. Some of these are discussed here [1].

One of the biggest problems with MATE so far is that it currently
depends on libraries and other things that have been deprecated and
removed in Debian and should not be reintroduced to Debian.
Can we agree on something more friendly like "it would be not optimal to reintroduce these packages"? Or at least elaborate a bit why they should not be re-introduced. It would not be the first time something like that happened in Debian.

  Thus, the
MATE developers are working to port MATE to more recent libraries
which are available in Debian.
And whatever they or anybody else does in that regard, it will come to late for wheezy.

Furthermore, work has to be done to make sure MATE co-installs
seamlessly with anything from GNOME which isn't that trivial.
Apparently it is easy enough, as they got that already done months ago. At least I run MATE on many sid-boxes with Gnome3 co-installed and no issues apart from that damn mime-types-thingy brokenness when one has more than one DE installed.

There
are many binaries and libraries which still exist in GNOME3 and
installing MATE could possibily break these.
Could but don't afai(and many others)ct and most importantly should not, as that was one of the first goals of MATE. And from what I've heard from the MATE-devs (#mate@freenode) they tend to disagree there in a rather strong fashion. :)

I'm actually helping the MATE developers to get MATE ready for Debian,
but don't expect that to happen anytime soon.
Expect the worst, hope for the best! ;)

regards
Michael

I'm also working on getting mdm ready, a fork of gdm 2.20. Currently,
I'm not really happy with the code, however.

Adrian