Re: debian mate

Am 21.11.2012 05:06, schrieb Matt Zagrabelny:
Hi Michael,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Michael Schmitt<tcwardrobe@gmail.com>  wrote:
Am 20.11.2012 23:14, schrieb Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez:

On 20/11/12 22:55, Michael Schmitt wrote:
If one likes Gnome2.x or MATE or not is a question of taste, to
acknowledge that many users are just mad about Gnome3 is a fact. To
offer no real sane upgrade-path for those users is... dunno how to say
it in another way, it is just insane! I did invest some time with
thinking about all of this including talking to some MATE folks and
current squeeze-gnome-users, and again thinking and thinking... imho it
must be done everything possible to try to circumvent that imho probable
desaster for the desktop users. Especially when I think of the real
*average next door users* not the techie guys who may be happy (or at
least not cry to loud about it) to invest some time tweaking their Xfce
or KDE to behave more or less like their old gnome2 did. And if you
really insist, I can give you detailed reports about what kind of
problems those users have with the current DEs in Debian including
gnome3, but I don't want to bloat this mail anymore. I just can
guarantee you now, the panel in gnome3-fallback being black is not one
of them. ;)

  From my point of view, as said I can't comment much on the technical
aspects here. I can just ask those who may have the ability to do so, to
do it in a fair way, with as less prejudice as possible. Again, for the
users that will have an issue with the current envisioned upgrade-path.
For those users not so keen about adding a third-party repo to their
sources.list, those users not knowing about the possibility to do so,
those users that will get pissed.

regards
Michael

P.S.: I know there is already work in progress for MATE for jessie, I
just think that is too late. But I don't want to trip on anyones toes
here....
AFAIK is completely impossible that Debian ships MATE for Wheezy. Wheezy
has been frozen time ago and by policy no new packages are allowed in
the archive for testing during the freeze.
So much for the general rules... but exceptions ARE possible! And I just try
to make a case here about how important it might be!

If you want a "classical" desktop your main options are: gnome3-classic,
XFCE and LXDE. You have also cinnamon on sid (it won't make to wheezy)
It is *not* about me and I know already all available options in all
possible flavors and directions available as of today for wheezy.
I'm guessing that by the time wheezy is released MATE will be in
unstable and the wheezy-backports won't be far behind. It is a
sensible compromise.
Let's see how that will progress. But agreed, a very sensible compromise.

Remember, Debian is more that just a Desktop operating system. Let's
work within policy and be respectful to those who are working hard to
get the release ready.
I did never forget that. I do run Debian on servers as well. But at the same time I am a strong desktop-advocate and I tried to keep both sides on my mind there. Sure, those that don't mind much what they run on their desktops can't understand my thinking there. And I am all in for working within the policy and I am very respectful about the choices made. I don't want that to be misunderstood, even if my "focus" seems a bit... ehm... off to some, it is a valid focus nevertheless! ;)

Cheers,

-mz
regards
Michael