Re: [PROPOSAL v2] Orphaning another maintainer's packages

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
>>> If, as Bart has found, such mistakes are quite rare, then why worry so
>>> much?  We don't need new formal processes for rarely occurring social
>>> problems.  We need more people willing to help those that make social
>>> mistakes to learn and improve themselves.
>
>> It's not that too many people are making mistakes. It's that too many
>> people don't take any action out of fear of making the mistake in the
>> first place. That's why we need a well defined process (or to at least
>> codify the status quo more clearly).
>
> Yes, exactly.
>
> I don't want to be trusted to orphan packages on my own, and I've been a
> DD for years.  It's too much pressure!  And as a result, I basically never
> do it.  One of the huge advantages of somewhat more formal systems is that
> they remove the feeling of personal responsibility and provide some sort
> of system that can deal with issues, which can make the whole thing feel
> much more comfortable for everyone involved.

I think everyone is in agreement on that defined rules are bound to
improve the situation.  The question (at least with respect to
non-maintainer orphaning) is, do we codify the tried and true bug
report + wait 4*7*24*3600 system, or do we take a gamble with one of
the new untested bureaucratic ones?

Best wishes,
Mike