Re: [PROPOSAL v2] Orphaning another maintainer's packages

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 03:07:16 Russ Allbery wrote:
> Andrew Starr-Bochicchio <a.starr.b@gmail.com> writes:
> > It's not that too many people are making mistakes. It's that too many
> > people don't take any action out of fear of making the mistake in the
> > first place. That's why we need a well defined process (or to at least
> > codify the status quo more clearly).
>
> Yes, exactly.
>
> I don't want to be trusted to orphan packages on my own, and I've been a
> DD for years.  It's too much pressure!  And as a result, I basically never
> do it.

Perhaps your experience may confirm my observation: Except for orphaning as
part of MIA procedure I can't recall situation when a particular package was
orphaned by non-maintainer.
It looks like such cases are extremely rare so as result prospective
contributors are often reluctant to invest much time into improvement of de-
facto unmaintained but not orphaned package.

> One of the huge advantages of somewhat more formal systems is that
> they remove the feeling of personal responsibility and provide some sort
> of system that can deal with issues, which can make the whole thing feel
> much more comfortable for everyone involved.

Absolutely.
Even a bit of guidelines will do very well.
For example at the moment it is not obvious that adoption can begin with ITA
bug to the package but this little hint can save time and improve visibility
of adoption comparing to private email to maintainer if it remains unanswered.

Regards,
Dmitry.