Re: [PROPOSAL v2] Orphaning another maintainer's packages

Le Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 02:19:25PM +0000, Bart Martens a écrit :

> Thanks for your effort, Lucas.  I don't object against this new text.

Many thanks and thumbs up to Lucas as well.

> maybe we could simply allow anyone, including non-DDs, to submit O-bugs for
> packages which seem abandoned by the maintainer, and to submit ITA-bugs for
> packages he/she wishes to salvage.

I think that this misses one of the reasons for the original proposal, which is
to provide guidelines to the contributors who refrain from orphaning packages
because they are not sure how to appreciate whether packages "seem abandonned".

Everybody who are confident in what they are doing can orphan anything any
time.  And they are fully responsible for their mistakes.  The guidelines that
are proposed to be added in the Developers reference are a formal process,
which purpose is to help the orphaners to strongly reduce the chances that they
make a mistake.

In my understanding, the existence of such a process would not prevent people
who know what they are doing to orphan packages when it makes sense.  But for
the non-exceptional cases, let's recomend to follow written recommendations who
are clear to everyone.

Have a nice Sunday,

--
Charles Plessy