Re: [PROPOSAL v2] Orphaning another maintainer's packages

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:
>>> maybe we could simply allow anyone, including non-DDs, to submit O-bugs for
>>> packages which seem abandoned by the maintainer, and to submit ITA-bugs for
>>> packages he/she wishes to salvage.
>>
>> I think that this misses one of the reasons for the original proposal, which is
>> to provide guidelines to the contributors who refrain from orphaning packages
>> because they are not sure how to appreciate whether packages "seem abandonned".
>>
>> Everybody who are confident in what they are doing can orphan anything any
>> time.  And they are fully responsible for their mistakes.  The guidelines that
>> are proposed to be added in the Developers reference are a formal process,
>> which purpose is to help the orphaners to strongly reduce the chances that they
>> make a mistake.
>
> If, as Bart has found, such mistakes are quite rare, then why worry so
> much?  We don't need new formal processes for rarely occurring social
> problems.  We need more people willing to help those that make social
> mistakes to learn and improve themselves.

It's not that too many people are making mistakes. It's that too many
people don't take any action out of fear of making the mistake in the
first place. That's why we need a well defined process (or to at least
codify the status quo more clearly).

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Soon to be asb@debian.org Just waiting on account creation!