Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

]] Christoph Anton Mitterer

[...]

> In the case of *buntu... well to be honest I don't really see a reason
> unless someone wanted to create a company behind his distro, which
> wasn't possible with Debian.

Do you remember the sorry state of, for instance hotplugging of devices
and the utterly poor integration with desktops back in 2004 when Ubuntu
first started?  It was a _huge_ step forward.

> And IMHO, making it more "desktop/user" friendly (actually I don't think
> that Debian would be not) would have also been possible in Debian
> itself.

I don't think it would be possible to make some of the
large-scale-across-the-board changes that Ubuntu does, in Debian.  We're
a lot of people, we have a culture of discussing every change in every
detail and in practice people feel like they can rightfully block other
people's work.  We're also generally unable to choose a single solution
and prefer to say «both» rather than A or B.

[...]

> That's a tricky question... ask yourself what RMS would probably answer.

I use RMS as a guide in the same way that a boat captain would use a
lighthouse.  It's good to know where it is, but you generally don't want
to find yourself in the same spot.

--
Tollef Fog Heen