Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:45:58PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Marco Nenciarini <mnencia@debian.org> writes:
> > I've seen recently several company I'm working with getting away from
> > Debian in favor of Ubuntu because they have a LTS version. However I
> > don't know if this is a general trend.

> I can confirm the trend for a couple of organisations.  The primary
> reason that I identified was the retirement of security support for
> Lenny and that Lenny packages are removed from many Debian mirrors which
> made it difficult to use Lenny machines.  IMHO, supporting an OS release
> for only 3 years is not long enough.

Well the challenge is that everyone has a opinion what Debian should do,
but few are ready to WORK to make it happen. Getting volunteers to be
interested in maintining 3 years old release is hard enough. If companies
and organisations are not prepared to assign people to work on debian LTS,
it is unlikely to happen.

While people want LTS, they still want latest version of various apps
they use (browser, new gcc and python for some inhouse development, etc),
as well as support for all the new hardware they buy. Solving these two
goals at the same time is tricky. We'd like to have the cake and eat it
too.

My gut feeling is that when people say "We want long term support for
old distro releases", they mean "We have had so many bad experiences of
things breaking when upgrading the whole distro, that we'd rather not
upgrade if possible".

Which means the root of the problem is regressions when upgrading.

Riku