Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

Le Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:47:30AM +0300, Riku Voipio a écrit :

> While people want LTS, they still want latest version of various apps
> they use (browser, new gcc and python for some inhouse development, etc),
> as well as support for all the new hardware they buy. Solving these two
> goals at the same time is tricky. We'd like to have the cake and eat it
> too.

There may be some light at the end of the tunnel with two game-changing
developments:

 - The possibility to copy packages between archives with the same interface
   already in use to manage DM permissions. This could be used to allow the
   maintainer of a package in Testing to copy it to Backports.
   (https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/09/msg00008.html)

 - The transfer of a package's regression tests from the build process to
   the "autopkgtest" system.  This would allow to frequently test that packages
   in Backports are working.  (http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep8/)

In my field (command-line bioinformatics), where the build dependencies are
often simple and not too demanding, it think it will be straightforward to
provide up-to-date backports even if the support for Stable is extended of a
few years.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy