Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 3:45 AM, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> I can confirm the trend for a couple of organisations.  The primary
> reason that I identified was the retirement of security support for
> Lenny and that Lenny packages are removed from many Debian mirrors which
> made it difficult to use Lenny machines.  IMHO, supporting an OS release
> for only 3 years is not long enough.

We don't have enough human power to fix all the RC bugs that crop up
in stable during its lifetime, I doubt maintainers are ever going to
want or be able to support oldstable for longer than we do already.

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

As far as support for oldstable on security issues goes, you might
want to take a look at these pages:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianSecurity/Meetings/2011-01-14
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/01/msg00006.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2011/10/msg00029.html