Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

]] Steve Langasek

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 05:29:51PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > This might be your impression.  It does not at all match my impression.
>
> > Quite a few upstreams thinks Debian are working contrary to their
> > design and their goals and are actively hindering adoption of their
> > software. If you're interested in examples, just take a look at how
> > rubygems was handled in Debian until wheezy and all the silliness
> > around node.js and /usr/bin/node.

(Just to be very clear: I'm reporting what I see other people are
saying. I am not saying I agree with them.)

> When, as in the case of node.js, upstream is antisocial and has an
> overinflated sense of self-importance, it's perfectly appropriate for
> Debian to work contrary to their design.  Our job is not to make
> upstreams happy, it's to make our *users* happy; and while being good
> Free Software citizens means we try to respect the wishes of upstreams
> as well, there are exceptions.

In some cases, making one set of users happy means making another set of
users unhappy, so it always comes down to tradeoffs.

--
Tollef Fog Heen