Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

Le 11/10/2012 13:40, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:51:50AM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 09:15 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>>> I believe the script is incorrect. It does not count ubuntu
>>> bugs that gets fixed in debian, without ever being referenced
>>> in debian BTS...
>> Well but it's up to interpretation, whether that wouldn't be a
>> worrying sign, too. I mean that bugs are fixed rather via
>> Ubuntu.
>
> I wonder: did upstream developers start to worry when the number of
> bugs report they received *directly* started to decrease, due to
> Debian distributing their software? (Note: that started to happen
> "a few" years ago, like 15-20 :-)) They probably did worry, yes.
> But as long as Debian play it right with them, by
> triaging/forwarding bug reports to them as needed, no harm is done.
> In fact, the resulting ecosystem probably brings *more* users and
> bug report to them than before, albeit now they are mediated. Looks
> like the same situation.

Users who get software through the Debian packages are still 100%
users of said software.

I guess the matter here is the recurring questions: are Ubuntu users
100% Debian users? Are we happy to provide high quality through
derivative distributions, or are we worried (or sad) that they don't
use Debian directly?

I personally really don't see a problem with having less bugs reported
in Debian proper, as long as the bugs are found and eventually fixed
in Debian (and further upstream). And I don't care much whether my
packages are used under Debian or rebuilt for Ubuntu, as long as they
are useful to somebody.

As a matter of fact, I consider it bonus if work I do for Debian also
benefits users of other distros, and being higher along the stream
means whatever we do trickles down to more users.

Kind regards, Thibaut.