Re: CD1 without a network mirror isn't sufficient to install a full desktop environment

Le mardi 18 septembre 2012 à 21:08 +0200, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
> > I don't consider MATE to be future-proof.
>
> And that's your good right, but that really doesn't mean anything.

It means that MATE developers do not have the knowledge to maintain
several of the components they ship.

The very fact that they forked GConf (MateConf) while GConf 3.x is still
binary-compatible should be enough to understand that.

> Fact is, gnome2 is now abandoned by the gnome developers, and there are
> many people who consider that a bad idea. These people have decided to
> continue the development of gnome2. AIUI, one of their stated goals is
> to port gnome2 (the interface) onto gnome3 (the APIs), so that the two
> can live side-by-side. This should not bring harm to gnome3 -- on the
> contrary.

This is completely silly. “Porting GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 APIs” has already
been done, and it is called gnome-panel 3.

> Now, if you don't like that, nobody's forcing you to use mate.

Indeed. But we have a code duplication policy, and I hope we enforce it
before shipping such software (especially sed-generated libraries).

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :