Re: CD1 without a network mirror isn't sufficient to install a full desktop environment

GNOME is seeking people to develop the GNOME-Panel - if MATE
developers want a classical desktop environment based on modern
technologies, they should develop the GNOME-Panel instead of forking
unmaintained and outdated technology like Bonobo or GConf.
I don't consider MATE to be future-proof. If you don't like the
GNOME-Shell, using GNOME3-Panel or Xfce instead is a much better
choice.
I'm working with some Fedora developers, and the MATE packaging is
just done by interested developers, and it's not clear at time if it
will be present in the next Fedora (depends on various factors, being
in the time-shedule being the most important one)
Regarding systemd, Fedora gained lots of support for this move, there
have been a few problems at first, but nothing serious. I can' offer
any number here, but all people I talked to love systemd or don't have
an opinion. (because they don't care)
- but that's a different topic.
Cheers,
   Matthias