Re: CD1 without a network mirror isn't sufficient to install a full desktop environment

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 10:21:27PM -0500, Ztatik Light wrote:

> Just a quick suggestion.  As a compromise, instead of enabling
> Xfce as the "universal default" in tasksel *entirely* ...  How
> about only enabling Xfce as default for the CD* distribution,
> and leaving the default as GNOME for all non-CD distributions?
> (DVD, netinst, ...)

I do not think that making the default desktop environment
dependent on the type of the installation medium would be a good
idea; that would cause much confusion IMHO.

> That will express true "bipartisanism" ... instead of
> explicitly being biased towards one direction or another simply
> at the whim of (a) certain decision maker(s), especially over a
> technicality.  Yes, you can argue this might incur a "split"
> between install bases and, thus, possibly be less "easy" to
> support
> ... But both GNOME and Xfce are officially integrated into Debian,
> and so should both be considered equally ...

In my eyes this is no valid argument. We offer four desktop
environments to choose during the installation - GNOME, KDE,
LXDE, XFCE (in alphabetic order ;-)).  If we would follow this
line of reasoning further, we would end up with each of CD, DVD,
hd-media and netboot have a different desktop environment as
default, and I am rather sure nobody would consider this a
sensible setup.

IMHO there should only be one default desktop environment, regardless
of which one it will be.

> GNOME has a longer-standing status, specifically with Debian,
> and other GNU/ Linux distributions at large.

I am not going to repeat all the discussions about GNOME 3, but
at least from the impressions I have gotten around here, many
previous GNOME 2 users seem not to consider GNOME 3 / GNOME shell
a continuation of their existing environment, but instead see it
as a radical break, effectively as a different desktop
environment, and a lot of them seem to have adopted XFCE as the
"heir" of GNOME 2.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der