Re: Handling /etc/modprobe.d and module load order

On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 21:47 +0000, Amit wrote:
> Ben Hutchings <ben <at> decadent.org.uk> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> > >  1. I am currently using dh_installmodules to install package.modprobe.
> > >     However, I noticed that the automated debhelper commands in
> > >     postins/postrm don't run update-initramfs. Is updating initramfs not
> > >     necessary?
> >
> > That depends on what are you trying to do.
>
> Trying to load usbhid and passing a quirks parameter so that it ignores
> a specific device. Then, I have my own kernel module to control that
> device.

What is this driver?

> > >  2. I also need to specify module load order so I am bundling
> > >     /etc/modules. However, there doesn't seem to be a debhelper script
> > >     to handle /etc/modules.
> >
> > Don't ever touch /etc/modules, that's for the user/administrator.  You
> > can load modules from an init script if there is really no better way.
> >

> OK. So I blacklist the modules in package.modprobe. And then load them
> in the order I want in package.init by just calling modprobe?

Unless you're doing something very unusual, you let udev load the module
automatically based on its device ID table.

> > > I searched the list archives and found conflicting arguments regarding
> > > the use of update-initramfs after updating /etc/modules or
> > > /etc/modprobe.d/.
> >
> > /etc/modules is used by the init scripts, not the initramfs.
> > /etc/modprobe.d *does* get copied to the initramfs and I think you're
> > right that update-initramfs should generally be called after it's
> > updated.  Perhaps initramfs-tools should have a file trigger for it,
> > though.
> >

> I ran some tests, and we definitely do need to update initramfs after
> any changes under /etc/modprobe.d.

Yes, usbhid is included in the initramfs so any options need to be in
there too.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Logic doesn't apply to the real world. - Marvin Minsky