Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

On 08/31/2012 06:55 PM, Riku Voipio wrote:
> How is that different from having a botched / or /boot ? Why do you
> think having a separate /usr will make / less prone to HD crashes?
> You have / on RAID5 while /usr isn't?

Typically, I have / on 2 small RAID1 partitions making the array on the
first
2 HDD (1 or 2 gigs), and /usr on a LVM on a much, much larger RAID array
(I use mostly software RAID1 and RAID10, but in some cases, much bigger
hardware RAID5). So yes, that's my usual server setup.

Also, / is a partition on which almost nothing is read or written, while
the others (eg: /usr, /var, /tmp, swap) are a lot more I/O intensive.
Which means that / is less prone to failure. Often, the 2nd RAID
array gets degraded, but / isn't. So it does make a lot of sense to
setup things this way, and yes, / is less prone to HD crashes this
way (I'm talking from 10 years of experience running about 100
servers this way, so it's not just theory, it's very practical experience).

> Anyways maintaining a good recovery CD / USB is more worthwile than
> keeping supporting a hard drive partitioning scheme that doesn't really
> add value for users anymore.

It does add value, as per above.

I'll keep in mind Marco's suggestion of grml-rescueboot which I didn't
know and try in the next following days, it looks cool!

Thomas