Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 05:39:14PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 08/31/2012 03:39 AM, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >  - /usr on a separate filesystem without the use of an initramfs: not
> >    supported... and no discernable user demand for this.

> Well, let's say I have a big crash, and I want to recover, and I
> need to access /etc/lvm/archive in a single user, with of course
> my /usr in a bad state, and I wouldn't be able to mount it for
> various reasons. Let's say, an HDD crash, which is very common.

> If I need to have /usr mounted before init starts, then I'm more
> or less dead, and I'll have to get a recovery CD / USB.

How is that different from having a botched / or /boot ? Why do you
think having a separate /usr will make / less prone to HD crashes?
You have / on RAID5 while /usr isn't?

Anyways maintaining a good recovery CD / USB is more worthwile than
keeping supporting a hard drive partitioning scheme that doesn't really
add value for users anymore.

> Now, you tell me: what are the advantage of requiring having
> everything in /usr exactly? I really don't get what the advantage is.

The main advantage is that we wouldn't be having this mail thread.

As there would be no need to ensure there is no dependencies from
/{lib,bin,sbin} to /usr, we wouldn't have the maintainer overhead
and chatter on debian-devel of trying to fix those issues.

Riku