Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 10:22:03AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:
> > On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 09:25:19AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> >> Also, FHS development seems to be effectively dead.  We're already
> >> carrying a fairly large collection of exceptions.  One more wouldn't
> >> make a tremendous difference as long as there's no major user behavior
> >> change, and the symlinks would take care of that.

> > There may be hope of an FHS revival:
> > http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb/fhs

> > I haven't followed if they're actually doing any work.

> I've been on the mailing list, and so far it's mostly been crickets.  The
> person who was driving the effort has been busy with other LSB work.

While that's true, there is now a framework for getting changes made to the
FHS again - unlike before when the only three editors with commit access
were all AWOL.  The FHS and the guarantees it provides about what users can
expect from their system is still important.  If Debian thinks we need to
diverge from the FHS on something as major as the existence of /sbin, that's
a conversation we should be having in the FHS WG first before implementing
it.