Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

On 08/08/12 04:15, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Currently the default PATH for Debian does not include /sbin, /usr/sbin,
>> nor /usr/local/sbin. If an user wants to run a program in either /sbin/
>> or /usr/sbin the full path must be specified.
>
> I don't see any point in doing this as opposed to just moving everything
> from sbin into bin and making sbin a symlink to bin.  If we're going to
> add them both to the PATH, that means there's no longer any effective
> difference, and we should make that explicit.

A similar solution was discussed some time ago by merging all the /bin and /sbin
directories together (based on the UsrMove from Fedora) but the discussion wasn't
really productive iirc.

Changing only the PATH is also less intrusive compared to merging /{s,}bin and
/usr/{s,}bin. But if there is a consent for it, sure let's merge the directories.

Ulrich