Re: Change default PATH for Jessie / wheezy+1

Ulrich Dangel <uli@spamt.net> writes:

> A similar solution was discussed some time ago by merging all the /bin
> and /sbin directories together (based on the UsrMove from Fedora) but
> the discussion wasn't really productive iirc.

Wasn't that discussion about merging /bin and /usr/bin?  Or did we also
have the discussion about /bin and /sbin?

This is exactly the sort of global change that Debian kind of sucks at,
but I don't like using that as an excuse to not do it.  I'd rather find
ways to get better at it.

> Changing only the PATH is also less intrusive compared to merging
> /{s,}bin and /usr/{s,}bin.

Sure, certainly true.  But, assuming that we have a consensus that the
distinction no longer matters and just causes extra work (something that
I'm inclined to agree with but that I don't think we can assume we've
decided on yet), I hate to see us doing the expedient thing because doing
the right thing is too hard.