Re: MATE Desktop Environment in Debian

Le dimanche 22 juillet 2012 à 16:09 +0100, Neil Williams a écrit :
> I disagree. I have a number of upstream projects which started with
> early versions of GTK2 which I ported to more recent versions and in
> which I then implemented support for the DISABLE_DEPRECATED macros of
> glib2.0 and gtk+2.0 such that the current versions of these packages in
> unstable build fine against the current gtk+-2.0 with
> DISABLE_DEPRECATED set - yet none of these will build against gtk+3.0.
>
> Some of my upstreams would have to be complete rewrites to port to
> gtk3, at which point I start considering if it would be easier to
> rewrite for something other than gtk or abandon the upstream.

Just because an application doesn’t build doesn’t mean you have to
completely rewrite it.

http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/ch24s02.html

> Gtk2 was a step forward from gtk1. Gtk3 is a failure IMHO. Unless third
> party apps buy into the entire shell monoculture (via a rewrite), gtk3
> makes it all but impossible to migrate. Gtk3 is an aggressive move to
> strip out apps which don't fit the GNOME3 model, a model which I find
> abhorrent and completely unsuited to how I want my projects to behave.

I have no idea where you got this bullshit from. The changes between GTK
2.x to 3.x are minor and imply in no way a change in a “model” you
haven’t defined anyway (object model? widget model? event model? none of
them have changed).

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :