Re: MATE Desktop Environment in Debian

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:08:32AM +0200, Oz Nahum Tiram wrote:
> There is also enough murmur and frustration about the lack of feedback
> acceptance from from GNOME developers. Personally, I feel the
> applications in GNOME are dumbed versions of their counterparts in
> GNOME2 only re-written in GTK3. This is not usable to me.

That may only be true when considering complete rewrites. Porting an
application from Gtk2 to Gtk3 does not at all require that many changes
that you'd need to do a rewrite. (Basically they took that opportunity
to drop old deprecated APIs[1].)

For instance I don't think gedit lost features, but was instead just
ported to Gtk3.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] And then they went and added new deprecations in Gtk3 along the way.
    Meh.