Re: Recommends for metapackages

On 12-07-12 at 11:26am, Abou Al Montacir wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-12 at 11:09 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
> > On 12-07-12 at 10:28am, Abou Al Montacir wrote:
> > > I'm maintaining a package which upstream delivers as all in one
> > > (600MB) and refuses to support splitting. I've split it into 22
> > > packages because I know and got requests from users who want to
> > > have it in machines with small disks and/or low internet.
> >
> > I guess you are referring to lazarus.
> >
> > <sarcasm>
> > Oh horror: The meta-package lazarus-0.9.30.4 forces 70MB of
> > documentation down my throat!  That's not freedom of choice, that is
> > outragous!  That package should only recommend its dependencies, for
> > those 1-2% custom users needing the convenience of the meta-package
> > without the burden og that documentation part.
> > </sarcasm>
>
> Yes, but as you can see lazarus-ide-0.9.30.4 does not pull them.

...just as gnome-session doesn't depend on network-manager.

> And even lazarus-0.9.30.4, which is intended for a typical Lazarus
> installation (equiv gnome) is not forcing fpc, as you may want, to use
> it with gpc or even gcc (I doubt it could, but you can try why forcing
> a compiler?)

...just as gnome-core isn't depending on, say, evolution.

> > As with any package available in Debian: Just don't install it if
> > you do not like what the package does!
> >
> > It really is that simple!
>
> I think that we really do not have the same understanding of
> metapackage. You clearly want them strict and non flexible, I want
> them convenient and flexible while ensuring desired functionality.

Then why do the meta-package lazarus-0.9.30.4 depend on *anything*?

I guess it has to do with the "desired functionality" you as package
maintainer want ensured by offering that meta-package.  An offering that
anyone disagreeing with is free to not take, but instead explicitly
install the custom subset they prefer.

> I really hate forcing things if not needed,

What is forced?  Do you force anyone to install lazarus-0.9.30.4?

 - Jonas