Re: Recommends for metapackages

On 11 July 2012 14:21, Noel David Torres Taño <envite@rolamasao.org> wrote:
> Installing N-M breaks unrelated software.

Hi!

I don't claim to be a networking expert, but I believe half the
conversation here is based on wrong or outdated information. I
encourage those who think NetworkManager (NM) doesn't play well with
ifup/ifdown to please read
http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager#NetworkManager_in_Squeeze

Furthermore, not having NM running breaks the Network panel in System
Settings (gnome-control-center).

NetworkManager makes connecting to WiFi points much much easier, while
at the same time NOT breaking wired connectivity. Oh, and NM works
just fine for USB tethering with my Android phone too.

GNOME considers NM to be part of GNOME Core, therefore gnome-core
depends on it. If you're allergic to NM, either don't install
gnome-core; let NM install but tell it never to run; or follow one of
the several workarounds already posted to this list.

Thanks,
Jeremy