Re: Recommends for metapackages

On 12-07-11 at 12:12pm, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 11 iul 12, 10:55:16, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >
> > The feature of _allowing a subset of packages to be removed that was
> > _ensured_ to be installed: Impossible without defeating the feature
> > of _ensuring_ those same package are installed.
>
> Agreed. However, unless I missed something I haven't seen any
> arguments for why gnome-core really needs to _ensure_ that
> network-manager-gnome is installed, other than "upgrade issues"
> without any other details.

Package description isn't enough argument?

> This meta-package depends on a basic set of programs, including a file
> manager, an image viewer, a web browser, a video player and other
> tools.
>
> It contains the official “core” modules of the GNOME desktop.

I still (as previously mentioned) believe that you really should focus
on gnome-session instead, if you feel gnome-core is too invasive when it
insist on installing certain image viewer, web browser, video player and
"other tools" (which includes a certain network manager).

 - Jonas