Re: Recommends for metapackages

On 12-07-11 at 10:04am, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> […]
>
>  > It is a feature (which each user is free to avoid by not using it!)
>  > for Debian to include a meta-package that pulls in that eeeevil
>  > n-m, not a bug.
>
> 	… And what exactly this “feature” gives to the user?

The single feature that makes anyone want to install the package:

On 12-07-10 at 06:10pm, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> The very purpose of a meta-package is to _ensure_ that a certain set
> of packages is installed, not just recommend them: All (not only most)
> users of that package need all its dependencies satisfied - those that
> don't should simply uninstall the meta-package.

Some argue that meta-packages can have a different purpose, and some
argue that recommending also to some (lesser) extend ensures
installation of packages.  None of that, however, changes the fact that
_this_ meta-package _now_ has the feature of strictly ensuring a certain
set of packages.  For those wanting that.  And not for those feeling it
is in their way, but those can simply avoid that package: A meta-package
has no functionalirty beyond pulling in packages, so there is no loss to
the resulting system other than lack of its sole feature.

 - Jonas