Re: Recommends for metapackages

On 12-07-10 at 08:16pm, Noel David Torres Taño wrote:
> > "Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf@debian.org> writes:
> [...]
> >
> > Well, in case of GNOME, upstream considers n-m to be part of the
> > core system, to the best of my knowledge. If upstream does so, so
> > should we.
>
> No. That's why we have our own distribution instead of just a
> collection of unpatched packages compiled from source.
>
> Debian patches do not only include security or functionality bugs.
> They include also design bugs.

...and our own distribution consist of multiple packages, some of which
may happen to match upstream.

It is a feature (which each user is free to avoid by not using it!) for
Debian to include a meta-package that pulls in that eeeevil n-m, not a
bug.

 - Jonas

...who dislikes GNOME and network-manager but sometimes use the latter