Re: Recommends for metapackages

On 12-07-10 at 06:14pm, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> On 2012-07-10 16:18, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> > But the purpose of the meta-package is to pull stuff in. Depends
> > does that, Recommends does not, therefore Recommends is not
> > appropriate for the task.
>
> Surely Recommends does pull stuff in. It's clearly reflected in Debian
> policy and supported by most if not all high-level packages managers
> in Debian.  Therefore it's totally appropriate for the task.

Recommends does not _ensure_ that all is pulled in.

The very purpose of a meta-package is to _ensure_ that a certain set of
packages is installed, not just recommend them: All (not only most)
users of that package need all its dependencies satisfied - those that
don't should simply uninstall the meta-package.

 - Jonas