Re: CD sizes again (and BoF reminder!)

Hi

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:
>   Ansgar has been experimenting with .deb sizes to make the packages
> needed for a minimal desktop installation fit in the first CD. It looks
> like that's doable by switching to xz compression for the involved
> binaries. Would you grant freeze exceptions for packages that only
> changes that?

Based on Sledge's list of packages for the CD images, I prepared a list
of savings-per-binary:

For GNOME, we can save up to 137 MB changing compression up to
task-gnome-desktop (108 MB by changing only 100 out of 969 binaries).
Or up to 252 MB up to task-laptop (183 MB changing only 100 binaries).

For KDE, it is 136 MB up to task-kde-desktop (106 MB for 100 binaries)
or 197 MB up to task-amharic (150 MB changing only 100 binaries).

Please note that these numbers include packages from the base system.
The real gains should be a bit less.

I'm not sure how much savings we need to fit things on CD1, maybe Sledge
can fill this?  Also I'm a bit unsure why Sledge had a bit higher
numbers on -devel earlier[1].

Please take a look at the files in [1] for details.  They list binary
packages, saving for switching this package (in kB) and the sum of
savings switching all packages so far (in kB).

Ansgar

[1] <http://people.debian.org/~ansgar/wheezy-cd-with-xz/>