Re: CD sizes again (and BoF reminder!)

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 09:00:32PM -0600, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>> Back in May I warned about CD sizes[1] for the Wheezy release,
>> pointing out that CD#1 isn't big enough any more to provide usable
>> Gnome or KDE installations. There was some discussion about what to do
>> about that (change compression to xz, switch to the lighter desktops
>> by default, require more than one CD, recommend DVDs instead), [...]
>
>I tried recompressing all packages in wheezy with xz.  The total size
>for all amd64+all packages was reduced from 42GB to 33 GB (about 20%).
>A per-package listing is available from [1]
>
>  [1] <http://people.debian.org/~ansgar/wheezy-20120706-with-xz.txt.gz>
>
>Would this be enough to make GNOME and/or KDE installable from a single
>CD image?

Using rough calculation:

 * For GNOME, it takes about 185MB out of the space used to get up to
   task-gnome-desktop. Instead of being ~90MB into CD#2, that's ~100MB
   inside CD#1.

 * For KDE, it takes about 170MB out of the space used to get up to
   task-kde-desktop. Instead of being ~70MB into CD#2, that's ~100MB
   inside CD#1.

So, yes - looks like xz will make a difference here for the wheezy
release, for amd64 at least. It's enough that we'd probably even have
space for the installation manual and release notes to fit \o/.

i386 is still worse off (2 kernels instead of 1), but I don't have the
exact figures to hand.

Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?