Re: CD sizes again (and BoF reminder!)

Hi,

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
> Back in May I warned about CD sizes[1] for the Wheezy release,
> pointing out that CD#1 isn't big enough any more to provide usable
> Gnome or KDE installations. There was some discussion about what to do
> about that (change compression to xz, switch to the lighter desktops
> by default, require more than one CD, recommend DVDs instead), [...]

I tried recompressing all packages in wheezy with xz.  The total size
for all amd64+all packages was reduced from 42GB to 33 GB (about 20%).
A per-package listing is available from [1]

  [1] <http://people.debian.org/~ansgar/wheezy-20120706-with-xz.txt.gz>

Would this be enough to make GNOME and/or KDE installable from a single
CD image?

Ansgar