CD sizes again (and BoF reminder!)

Hey people,

Following up on this again...

Back in May I warned about CD sizes[1] for the Wheezy release,
pointing out that CD#1 isn't big enough any more to provide usable
Gnome or KDE installations. There was some discussion about what to do
about that (change compression to xz, switch to the lighter desktops
by default, require more than one CD, recommend DVDs instead), then
Joey pointed out that the existing setup in debian-cd wasn't working
correctly with existing tasks since we switched to task packages. I
fixed that a while ago and pointed to the results [2], but they're
still not encouraging. I've just checked on the builds from this
week's run on amd64 and updated the sorted package lists. What I'm
seeing now is:

Gnome
=====

The last package on amd64 CD#1 is gnome-packagekit-data. task-desktop
fits on CD#1, but task-gnome-desktop is ~110 packages into
CD#2. gnome-shell-common doesn't even make CD#1, which means the
desktop will be a little... sparse. The full sorted package list is at

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/tmp/new-tasks/gnome-cd.list.gz

KDE
===

The last package on amd64 CD#1 is libkontactinterface4. task-desktop
fits on CD#1, but task-kde-desktop is about 60 packages into (what
would be) CD#2. The full sorted package list is at

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/tmp/new-tasks/kde-cd.list.gz

LIGHT (lxde/xfce)
=====

The last package on amd64 CD#1 is libmng1. The core tasks fit fine
(task-desktop, task-lxde-desktop, task-xfce-desktop), well within the
the space of CD#1. Full sorted list at

  http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/tmp/new-tasks/light-cd.list.gz

I'm going to talk about this more at the debian-cd BoF on Monday
(17:00 local time, 23:00 UTC). In the mean time, please feel free to
ask questions...

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2012/05/msg00025.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2012/06/msg00010.html

We don't need no education.