Re: EFI in Debian

On Sun, 2012-07-08 at 14:15 +0100, Wookey wrote:
[...]
> A competition case is much harder to bring here because Windows has
> almost zero share on ARM and can use that as an excuse. Of course, as
> we know in Debian architecture is really irrelevant to the question of
> 'is this OS dominant and using its dominance in one area to restrict
> competition in another'?
[...]

It's not irrelevant.  OS dominance is dependent on relationships with
hardware manufacturers (not the same for different architectures) and
application developers (often uninterested in porting, however easy it
is).

Did Windows NT take over PowerPC?  No.  Alpha?  Not even after FX!32
provided fast x86 emulation.

And the application developers used to Win32 (or Windows Forms) won't be
able to port to Windows RT without first rewriting for the 'Windows
Runtime' APIs.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Life would be so much easier if we could look at the source code.