Re: EFI in Debian

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 10:14:01AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 06 juillet 2012 à 05:32 +0100, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> > 1. General consensus in the project that supporting the option of Secure
> > Boot, including purchase of a Microsoft-signed certificate, is
> > worthwhile and not entirely objectionable.

> Not entirely objectionable indeed, but it really depends on what we
> would have to pay for.  As long as it is only covering for
> administrative costs of Microsoft emitting a new certificate, it is
> fine.

Microsoft has indicated their intent to provide the Secure Boot CA services
free of charge.  AIUI the only associated fee is to a third party, Verisign,
for them to provide the service of establishing digital identity to
Microsoft's standards.

> If OTOH we have to pay a fee just for our software to work on platforms
> that just happen to be using Microsoft’s certificate, this is clearly
> abusive.  I would object to do so, and I believe we would (at least in
> Europe) have a very strong case in court against such practice.

Note that the Windows 8 requirements stipulate that users must in all cases
retain the ability to disable Secure Boot on their x86 systems from the
firmware.  It's really a question of ease of installation, and whether
Secure Boot provides any additional security protection that we think it's
worth providing to Debian users out of the box.