Re: why do people introduce stup^Wstrange changes to quilt 3.0 format

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

> When it is time to release/upload, the branch gets git format-patch'd,
> and makes its way to debian/patches for 3.0(quilt) to handle.  That
> branch is never published.  git-pq can automate this stuff in an even
> better way that is rebase-less if you want, but I don't bother.

I do this work in cases where keeping the patches separate is useful for
some reason, but mostly it's not.  I therefore use single-debian-patch for
most of my packages, and only use this sort of automation for a very few
where there are lots of upstream changes and some benefit to keeping them
separate.

I'm unwilling to do all this extra work for a theoretical marginal benefit
that only applies to people who aren't using Git.  I'm only willing to do
it when the benefit is not theoretical.  For most of my packages, no one
is going to care, particularly for those where I'm also upstream.