Re: why do people introduce stup^Wstrange changes to quilt 3.0 format

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 09:24:04AM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On 05/17/2012 04:52 PM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> >> I'm confused concerning the above; the point of a VCS in this context is to
> >> track changes to the source package, and the patches are themselves important
> >> changes to the source package.  If you have Git ignore the patches then Git
> >> doesn't have a complete view of the source package anymore.  Why would you
> >> want to do that?
> >
> > Git does have a complete view. What the above does, is tell dpkg-source
> > to fold any changes made to the upstream sources into a single
> > patch. Since the git tree already has the patches applied (with upstream
> > sources on a different branch, most probably), it has a full view.
> >
> > This basically folds whatever patches the git tree has over upstream,
> > outside of debian/ into a single file. That's about it. Since that file
> > is generated, it has no business staying in git.
>
> Doing that is the most stupid idea ever. All it does is to ensure that you
> package can't be NMUed sanely and that people who need to work with the sources
> and your patches for whatever reason have to clone your git, which might be not
> available or just too large for them to download - so at the end changes are
> high that they end up with a largish unreadable patch, similar to the mess we
> get from Ubuntu sometimes.
> The only thing that makes sense would be to use git-format-patch to export your
> patches to debian/patches and list them in the series file. Or use gbp-pq, which
> was made exactly for that.

Uhm, please switch around "git" and "quilt", and say that again.

Quilt is a kind of really primitive VCS.  It does not make sense to use both
it and a modern one, and when someone tries, this ends up with no end of
woe.  Quilt sprinkles its modifications around the source, breaks timestamps
causing unnecessary rebuilds, breaks basic VCS abilities like bisection,
makes it really hard to even review history, and so on.

You complain about forcing people to use git, while you push quilt onto
everyone else.  And while git can do every single thing quilt can do, the
reverse is thoroughly untrue.

I really wish there was a "3.0" format besides "3.0 (quilt)", so people are
not mislead into thinking they have to (or even, would gain anything) from
writing patches in quilt's format.

--
“This is gonna be as easy as cheating on an ethics exam!”
    -Cerise Brightmoon