Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 07:54:17AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2012 04:36:40 +0200
> Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 02:47:54PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > > Can someone set the default to xz and recompile all of Debian or at
> > > least base and create a repository from that for install tests?
> >
> > There's no need to recompile anything.  You can recompress existing packages
> > using the attached script.
>
> .. and then spend a huge amount of time rebuilding your now broken
> pool/ and archive because none of the checksums match ...
>
> Do you have a patch for dak to go alongside your script to update all
> checksums for all binaries across all architectures? What about
> packages which are the same version in wheezy and in squeeze

Goswin asked for a way to test d-i and friends with xz .debs, and this
script works well for that task, removing the need for recompiling.

No one proposes replacing packages in the archive without bumping the
version number, that'd be a recipe for disaster.

Although, if I understand what David Kalnischkies says in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/05/msg00706.html, having
packages with different size/global checksum but identical contents
(control.tar, data.tar) in local repositories (apt-cdrom, reprepro, ...)
shouldn't be a problem as well.

> Stop investing time in stop gap measures

How exactly is greatly reducing download sizes a "stop gap measure"?
Obviously, several releases later the savings will be eaten, but without
them the bloat will be that much bigger.  That's the long-term benefit, and
that it also solves a short-term problem (CD1) is a reason to switch to xz
before wheezy.

> we need a durable solution and that is likely to mean dropping GNOME and
> KDE as an option for CD#1.

While dropping GNOME3 is a very sweet idea -- its main mode fails to work
on a good part of, even new, machines, not degrading gracefully; its
fallback mode is a bad joke, it Depends: network-manager (ie, Conflicts:
working networking), and so on, not to even start about more subjective
opinions about changes to the UI -- reducing the size of CD1 to 2/3 would
easily solve the problem for now and last for a few Debian releases, and
by then, CDs will go away the way floppies did.

--
“This is gonna be as easy as cheating on an ethics exam!”
    -Cerise Brightmoon