Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Thu, 17 May 2012 04:36:40 +0200
Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 02:47:54PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Can someone set the default to xz and recompile all of Debian or at
> > least base and create a repository from that for install tests?
>
> There's no need to recompile anything.  You can recompress existing packages
> using the attached script.

.. and then spend a huge amount of time rebuilding your now broken
pool/ and archive because none of the checksums match ...

Do you have a patch for dak to go alongside your script to update all
checksums for all binaries across all architectures? What about
packages which are the same version in wheezy and in squeeze - now
you're looking at making a new point release with all packages across
all suites changing checksums.

Then once wheezy is out, we'll just have another round with the next
release because packages just keep getting fatter.

Stop investing time in stop gap measures - we need a durable solution
and that is likely to mean dropping GNOME and KDE as an option for CD#1.

--

Neil Williams