Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 11/05/2012 19:03, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 05/12/2012 12:22 AM, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
>> I find your attitude assumes users always have the knowledge and the
>> time to investigate everything. This is not the reality.
>>
>> Sincerly,
>>
> Not at all. Anyone without the knowledge will not be able to
> restore anything anyway.
>
> Anyone with the knowledge will know how to get the original file.
> Yes, it will take more time to do that, but do you think this is
> the kind of operation you need to do every day? I'd say, once
> every 5 years maybe?
>
> Very rarely, I do a purge then reinstall, but never it happened
> to me that my system was in such state that I had to recover
> by hand a configuration file, using the single user boot. Did
> this happen to you at some point? Anyone else?

Yes, several times indeed. Most times when upgrading network packages at
the same time.

> I'm not bashing the idea so much, as it is a harmless one, I just
> think it is simply a useless feature, and I don't think it's worth
> investing any human time on this.

I think it would be really great to have some program being able to
output all manual differences to all /etc files really useful for
maintenance. I used to do that, but some rapidly evolving configuration
files make it quickly unmaintainable (php.ini comes to mind: I always
have to put back the upload_max_filesize to a superior value, and this
one-line difference makes something that should be really, really simple
(upgrading php, even using stable+security) a pain because one gets
manually prompted about the differences, even if they are trivial to merge.

--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq