Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 05/11/2012 07:04 PM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>

>> Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
>>
>>> If dpkg kept a copy of the original configuration file (to be retrieved
>>> at all times), it would be easier to spot local changes.
>>> I use etckeeper to do that, but it's a bit tiresome to isolate all local
>>> changes (I have to save the diffs somewhere) (and a lost hope if you do
>>> install etckeeper late in the workstation life). My  git-fu is probably
>>> not good enough (I am probably looking for a "pristine" branch and a
>>> rebased "local" branch used in production).
>>>
>> You might be interested in a proposal at UDS this week:
>>
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/foundations-q-dpkg-pristine-conffiles
>>
> So basically, we'd have a directory of files under /etc that are not
> conffiles, and even made 0440. Amusing proposal.
>
> Why not move them outside of /etc then, if they are not configuration
> files, and should not be touched by the user?
>
> (Yeah, sure, they can be moved out of /etc, but that doesn't stop the
> original proposal being amusing, sorry.)

The setting of unix rights 0440 is indeed very amusing.

The only nice point about this proposal is that it's going to make happy
hard drive factories: they will be able to sell bigger hard drive for no
valid
good reasons.

Seriously, can't someone who broke his configuration wget the package,
and use mc to get into the .deb and get the original configuration file???

Overall, all this proposal assumes that users are idiots who love to change
things they don't understand, and aren't smart enough to restore. I can't
believe that newbies favorite game would be changing randomly the
content of /etc/init. And at the same time, I can't believe that experts
tweaking upstart jobs wouldn't know how to restore them.

Thomas