Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> Seriously, can't someone who broke his configuration wget the package,
> and use mc to get into the .deb and get the original configuration
> file???

FWIW, I'd love an easier way to keep track of my /etc, where upstream
changes and my own are on a separate branch. So the idea is not entirely
silly, and would be useful even for folk like myself, who - at least I
dare hope so - are not entirely clueless.

The solution, however, is very simple: wrap dpkg calls, and have a list
of files to watch for. Whenever a package touches a file that's on the
list, fire a trigger, that can run a hook. Said hook can be something
provided by etckeeper or similar, that would extract the appropriate
file from the deb, and commit it to the upstream branch of /etc, for
example.

Then proceed on, and do whatever else needs to be done. And boom! We
have a way to allow experienced users to keep track of their /etc
properly, that does not fall on its face when I notice a bad config
change in the upstream config two updates later.

Oh, and this whole thing need not live in /etc at all, and can follow
anything, not just config files. It's perfectly able to notice changes
in /lib/systemd too, or pretty much anywhere else.

I actually just implemented that (it took 10 minutes, becuase I screwed
up first), and will be testing how it works over the next few weeks.