Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 05/12/2012 12:22 AM, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
> I find your attitude assumes users always have the knowledge and the
> time to investigate everything. This is not the reality.
>
> Sincerly,

Not at all. Anyone without the knowledge will not be able to
restore anything anyway.

Anyone with the knowledge will know how to get the original file.
Yes, it will take more time to do that, but do you think this is
the kind of operation you need to do every day? I'd say, once
every 5 years maybe?

Very rarely, I do a purge then reinstall, but never it happened
to me that my system was in such state that I had to recover
by hand a configuration file, using the single user boot. Did
this happen to you at some point? Anyone else?

I'm not bashing the idea so much, as it is a harmless one, I just
think it is simply a useless feature, and I don't think it's worth
investing any human time on this.

Thomas