Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

> On 05/11/2012 06:39 PM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>>    In other words, it does *exactly* the same thing systemd is
>>    criticised for.
>>

> Which doesn't mean that it's a good practice.

Tell me what you would gain, if there were no files under /lib/systemd,
and all of these were compiled into the binary, please. Because that's
the other option, as you *do not* let users change the defaults. You let
them override them, you let them configure the system. (And that *is*
being done in /etc.)

There are *very* few programs that come without any kind of default, and
even less, that let you change the default too.

apt does not let you change the defaults, nor does dpkg. Both allow you
to change their settings, but without recompiling, you can't change the
defaults. Same happens with systemd, the difference is that it's easier
to see the defaults, as they're broken out into files that are easy to
copy and change as needed.